How Do I Start?
Start slow and don't worry! To meet the recommended amounts, you can choose from a variety of activities. For aerobic activity, basically anything counts as long as you do it for at least 10 minutes at a time!
Are you already active? If you go beyond the recommended amounts of physical activity, you will receive even greater health benefits, so keep on moving!
Not getting any activity? If you're not sure where to begin, here are some tips to help you along the way!
- Current guidelines advise inactive adults to begin exercising and to gradually increase ac-tivity time to meet recommended amounts (check with your doctor before starting a new workout regimen).
- You will be more successful by picking physical activities you enjoy. Once you've found an activity you enjoy, gradually build up the amount of time spent exercising each week.
- Set small goals to keep you motivated. Keep track of your activity each week so you can see how far you're progressing.
- Don't forget to reward yourself! Having an incentive will keep you motivated to meet your goals each week.
- Skip the elevator and take the stairs whenever possible.
- Don't pick the first spot you see! Park farther away from the entrance of the building to get more steps in.
- Skip one episode of your favorite TV show to get outside and walk, which reduces your risk of high blood pressure, high cholesterol, stroke, heart disease and cancers.
- Learn more about overcoming barriers here.
Check back for more tips and toolkits for being active coming soon!